Friday, August 15, 2008

My favorite person

If there is someone that I admire most, it is my mother. I have known other great mothers but I think Mama is the best.

She is a very understanding and kind person, and always sees the good in everyone. Even though there were times that I did not become the good daughter as I should be, she still believes in me and assures me that she still accepts me no matter how bad I do. I think most adult people goes through stages of rebellion during their youth, I am one of them.

She is a very jolly and accommodating person that she always makes everyone comfortable when she is around. She makes it a point that she knows our friends in school or work. Whenever we or our relatives have visitors, she is always there to entertain them. That is the reason why our relatives’ friends are also her friends.

She is a very patient mother and wife. Like I’ve said, I am not a very good daughter but still she did not give up on me neither to my father. My father has also his shares of machismo syndromes like every dominant father in the world, that sometimes I hate my mother for being a very patient wife to him. I remember when I was a child, I have witnessed how my mother suffered so much that she nearly gave up her career as a teacher. But she realized that my father will not be able to support us financially, so she pursued her masteral degree just to be promoted and have her salary increased.

Like what they usually says, good people die young. In 1996, my mother had an infection that resulted to an ovarian cancer. Like every cancer patient, she has to undergo therapies and treatments. The chemotherapy did not work for her but at least prolonged her life. She died on my birthday in 2001. A few weeks before she died and she was already bedridden and very weak at that time, I always remind her of my coming birthday.

For a time, I regretted that I did not spend more time with her. I blamed myself for not being a good daughter. But at least I was there during her last breath and I was able to ask forgiveness. I am sure Mama with her very understanding and kind heart has forgiven me.

No comments: