Friday, August 22, 2008

To marry or to be merry?

I remember when I was still in college, I always say that I will get married when I reach my 24th year. When I was 24, I was still waiting for the right man to come. I said to myself, maybe he will come when I get to my 26th year. After two years, somebody came along but he was the worst nightmare I could ever get. I even lost my hope saying that I was too old to be fooled by a damn and crazy man. After three months of stupidity and waste of emotional investment, I came to my senses and thought I can do better than this. Good thing, someone who is really far better than him came along. He is even the exact opposite of my ex. I never thought that God will give me someone who will accept me as I am. He may not be the perfect man for me but I am sure that he will love me no matter what.

After two years, he proposed and that was the biggest decision I have made. I gave in to that proposal because firstly, I love him and I was assured that he will love me forever. Second, I think that I am old enough to start my own family. Third, I am so excited to to be a wife and a mother. But I did not realize that being married means bigger responsibilities. It is not that I am not used to responsibilities but being a daughter and a sister is far different that being a wife.

Marriage entails a lot of adjustments. Before, I am used to deciding for myself, and now I have to consult my husband. We are just a small family so it took a long time before I have adjusted to my husband's bigger family including his extended family. It was like changing my whole self. Yes, changing my "self".

Most of the girls I knew think of marriage like a fairy tale or a love story in a movie with always a good ending . In a real world, it's not like finding your knight in shining armor. Most of them realized in the end that they should also be their own "knight in shining armor".

Being married means being a partner. It is choosing someone who will be a witness to all the greatest things that you will accomplish, your successes and even your failures. Having a happy married life always depend on you. If you let it be a burden to you, it will. Like what they always say, you make your own life. The bottom line is, if you want to have a merry married life, choose the best partner who can offer it to you. Choosing the right person is your key to a happy married life.

I got married in my early thirty and we are still together for five years already. I must say that my life is more challenging and colorful, and I got to know myself better. It is like discovering something new everyday about everything, my self, my husband, my life, my interests and my dreams.

No comments: